Saturday, November 7, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Yesterday marked the first Skype call I’ve made from Kazakhstan, and what better day for it than my mom’s birthday (Nov 6)!! So even though I can’t be with her, at least I got to see her! Which, of course, means I’ve got access to the internet… at home!

I moved into an apartment on November 5, where I live with a family of four. Parents, one daughter, one son, one dog. My host father is a mine employee (as are almost all men in this town), but as far as I can understand, he’s in some type of managerial position. Still, he works crazy hours and I don’t expect to see too much of him. My host mother also works. She’s in accounting and works at a clinic in town, I believe. And my host siblings go to school; my brother is in 3rd grade at my school and my sister is a ninth grader at a medical school. The dog has both bark and bite, but since he measures approximately eight inches tall (maybe a Chihuahua?), neither are intimidating.

The apartment is a comfortable size and has quite the modern appearance. It now has three bedrooms, since I bumped my host sister over to what was a sitting room. There’s also a kitchen/living room. Great place to hang out, watch TV, and eat. And the bathroom. Complete with washing machine, toilet, and tub w/ a showerhead. No curtain, but I can take a shower! After living in a place where I had only weekly cleanings, this is pretty much heaven.

In short, I’m spoiled. Indoor toilet, shower, washing machine, and internet. Did I mention it’s across the street from my school, and next door to my counterpart?? I don’t think it could get any better. And above all, I’m thrilled about the people I’m living with. According to my host mother, I’m another daughter, and I’m excited to improve my Russian and feel more and more like part of the family.

Good thing I survived PST – the environment here has been so incredibly different than training. And I feel like I’ve been given an incredible opportunity. Makes me think of the saying, “To whom much is given, much is expected.” I’ll have to kick ‘er in gear and facilitate some incredible projects. If you’ve got ideas, suggestions, etc., send them my way! (And you can use e-mail… I’ve got that now. :)

2 comments:

  1. What an AWESOME birthday greeting!! It was SO great to hear you sing Happy Birthday to me!!! Thank you so much!
    WOW we can talk Skype to Skype - I love it!!
    You are in our prayers as the transition time continues. Ps 20:4
    Pray for me as I get your computer set up!
    Love you so much!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. “To whom much is given, much is expected.”
    Boy, did I need to see that today. Thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete