Friday, July 17, 2009

August 19. Ok, August 18. Really? August 17??

Today I learned I will leave home August 17, 2009. I must say the reality brought tears to my eyes. Days are passing too quickly, and the date keeps getting earlier. When I got my invitation, the date I was given was August 19th. Then I got an e-mail saying I must report to staging in Washington, D.C., on August 18th. I arranged travel accommodations today, which brought the date up to August 17th. As a resident of (we’ll kindly say) a sparsely populated place, major airports are hard to come by. So, in order to make it to D.C. in time, I board a flight a day earlier. Let’s call it preparation for Kazakhstan. I think they’ve got wide open spaces without so many people and airports, too. Hey – since I’ll have a free morning in our nation’s capital, anybody got any suggestions?

Oh! And my flight itinerary is set for travel to Kazakhstan, too. I leave Washington, D.C., on August 19th at 5:45pm. I board a 7 hour and 50 minute flight to Frankfurt. On August 20th, I leave Frankfurt at 1:15pm for an 8 hour flight to Almaty. So, at 1:15am on August 21st, I should be in Kazakhstan.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah. I was pretty stunned when I learned that I would be leaving 2 days earlier too. It's nerve-racking. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog on peacecorpsjournals.com. I'm a current OCAP Kaz 20 serving in the south. Enjoy your last weeks left in the States! Look forward to meeting you soon.

    ReplyDelete